Black bean soup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped or crushed
- 2 dutch carrots finely diced
- 1 red capsicum (pepper) finely diced
- 6 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup black beans
- 6 tsp natural yoghurt
- 400 g sweet potato diced
- 1 fresh sweetcorn cob kernels removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 litres vegetable stock
- chipotle sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- In a bowl stir the yoghurt into 300ml of water. Add the beans, add more water to ensure they are well covered and soak for at least 6 hours, or overnight. Discard the soaking yoghurty water once used. Rinse the beans.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Sauté the onion gently for 3 minutes or until translucent, don’t brown. Add the thyme, cumin, coriander and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- To the pot add the beans, sweet potato, carrots, corn, capsicum, stock and tomato paste. Cover the pot and slowly cook for 3 hours, checking the liquid now and again, adding extra water if it gets low.
- Add the tamari and chipotle sauce to taste, balancing the flavours to your liking.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of natural yoghurt, chopped coriander and a grating of parmesan and enjoy!
Energy per serve: 1240kJ This recipe and image have been reprinted with permission from Dr Joanna’s Get Lean program and her Get Lean, Stay Lean evidence-based lifestyle book that will give you all the tools you need to embrace great health and take control of your weight. For more visit drjoanna.com.au
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.
Nutritional information (per serve)
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.5g | Fiber: 13g