Barbecued chilli mint lamb and tomato salad
- 250 g lamb fillet trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 30 g fresh mint roughly torn
- 4 tomato cut into eighths, or 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red capsicum (pepper) sliced into strips
- 1 Lebanese cucumber sliced into rounds
- 1 long red chilli seeds removed and thinly sliced
- ground black pepper
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
Zesty bulgur wheat
- 90 g Bulgur wheat
- 125 ml boiling water
- 1 lemon juiced, finely grated zest
- Lightly brush the lamb fillet with a little oil. Cook on a preheated barbecue or in a char-grill pan for 3–4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove the meat, wrap in foil and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Put the mint, tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber and chilli, if using, in a serving bowl. Season with pepper. Make a dressing by combining the oil and lemon juice in a screw-top jar and shake well.
- To make the zesty bulgur wheat, put the bulgur wheat in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Cover with foil (or plastic wrap or a plate) and leave to steam for about 15 minutes, or until the water has absorbed. Fluff up the grains with a fork and stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- Slice the lamb fillet thinly across the grain, toss with the salad ingredients and the bulgur wheat, then pour over the dressing and toss to coat.
Energy per serve: 1702 kJ
Recipe and image from The Low GI Diet Cookbook, Hachette Australia.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.
Nutritional information (per serve)
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 11g | Sodium: 117mg | Fiber: 10g