Asian beef mince bowl
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 100 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 eschallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon grass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ small red cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ small green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 120 g frozen edamame beans, blanched
- 100 g snow peas, shredded
- ⅓ cup mint leaves, +extra, to garnish
- Black sesame seeds, long red chilli, thinly sliced, roasted peanuts, chopped, to serve
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large non-stick frying pan. Add mince, Chinese 5 spice, eschallots and lemongrass and cook for 2-3 minutes or until meat is browned. Remove from heat, drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and tamari and toss to coat.
- Place mince mixture in a large bowl. Add noodles, cabbage, carrot, edamame, snow peas and mint. Toss well to combine. Divide between bowls and top with extra mint, sesame seeds, chilli and peanuts, to serve.
- For an Italian style bowl use Italian herbs instead of Asian flavours and serve with pasta, baby rocket, tomatoes, zucchini, ricotta and basil.
- Lean beef strips would also work well in this recipe.
- Use your choice of noodles or low GI rice in the Asian bowl.