Asian beef mince bowl
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 100 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 eschallots thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce or soy sauce
- ¼ red cabbage small, finely shredded
- ¼ green cabbage small, finely shredded
- 1 carrot large, shredded
- 120 g frozen edamame beans blanched
- 100 g snow peas shredded
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves + extra to garnish
- black sesame seeds to serve
- long red chilli red, thinly sliced, to serve
- peanuts, roasted chopped, to serve
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large non-stick frying pan. Add mince, Chinese 5 spice, eschallots and lemongrass and cook for 2-3 minutes or until meat is browned. Remove from heat, drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and tamari and toss to coat.
- Place mince mixture in a large bowl. Add noodles, cabbage, carrot, edamame, snow peas and mint. Toss well to combine. Divide between bowls and top with extra mint, sesame seeds, chilli and peanuts, to serve.
- For an Italian style bowl use Italian herbs instead of Asian flavours and serve with pasta, baby rocket, tomatoes, zucchini, ricotta and basil.
- Lean beef strips would also work well in this recipe.
- Use your choice of noodles or low GI rice in the Asian bowl.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as required. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for personalises advice.